Abortion Rights is co-ordinating efforts to ensure the 40th anniversary of the Abortion Act is met with celebrations and support across Britain.
The 1967 Abortion Act has brought immeasurable benefits to women, which must not be driven back. All pro-choice supporters are encouraged to find ways of marking the week — from imaginative and attention-grabbing stunts, to articles in journals and newspapers, or just by wearing a sticker declaring your support for a woman’s right to choose.
Here are some ideas to help you get planning!
- Wear a pro-choice sticker, badge or t-shirt — help break the taboo!
- Send a lobbying postcard or write a short letter to your MP.
- Take part in Abortion Rights national MP surgery lobby. All MPs have regular open surgeries where you can go and speak face to face. Abortion Rights is encouraging as many people as possible to visit their MP during the week of action.
- Raise awareness in your college or workplace with pro-choice balloons and posters.
- Organise an awareness-raising stall in your town centre, student union or workplace with a giant postcard to your local MP for people to sign.
- Organise a film screening of Vera Drake, The Last Abortion Clinic In Mississippi or Speak Out — I Had An Abortion.
- Write a letter to your local paper.
- Encourage friends, colleagues and family to join Abortion Rights. The more members we have the stronger our voice!
More information, model letters and campaign materials will be available on the website and from the office.