Edinburgh stands up for abortion rights
At 3 pm on Saturday 25th February, the Edinburgh Abortion Rights group and supporters are holding a pro-choice protest in Edinburgh to oppose a new US-led movement against abortion access in Scotland.
Edinburgh Abortion Rights is a local branch of the national pro-choice campaign, Abortion Rights. They are campaigning to defend and extend women’s rights and access to safe, legal abortion: they oppose any attack on the 1967 Abortion Act, including any attempt to lower the abortion time limit.In
In Scotland, women’s rights should be advanced. not driven back. A consistent three-quarters of people believe that abortion should remain legal and available in Scotland.
The US-inspired faith group “40 Days for Life” describes itself as “a groundbreaking, coordinated international mobilisation” whose goal here and now is to end legal access to abortion in Scotland.
Jane Carnall, convenor of the Edinburgh Abortion Rights group, said “While the widespread support in Scotland for safe, legal access to abortion is solid and that’s great, these anti-choice extremist goals must always be opposed. We can never return to the days of backstreet abortions and women dying preventable deaths. Access to abortion on the NHS in Scotland needs to be expanded and supported, not prevented or denigrated.”
- Note that “40 Days for Life” intends to protest outside the grounds of the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh from 1st March for 40 days. The Abortion Rights movement opposes holding demos or protests outside hospitals as detrimental to the welfare of patients and staff.
- The 25th February protest takes place at 3pm by the Paolazzi sculptures at the top of Leith Walk, “61 York Place” on Google Maps.
- Contact: Jane Carnall, 07715 107 623, email@example.com
- Organisation: Abortion Rights UK http://www.abortionrights.org.uk/
- In Edinburgh: https://www.facebook.com/AbortionRightsEdinburgh/