This meeting notes that:
• The rights of all women to access safe, legal abortion is an advance for women and is necessary to achieve a society that values the lives and rights of women.
• Before the 1967 Act legalised abortion thousands of women died or were seriously injured due to back street abortions.
• The student movement has a proud record of defending a woman’s right to choose.
• A 2013 YouGov opinion poll shows 92 per cent of people support a woman’s right to choose.
Also notes that:
• There are regular attempts to undermine and restrict women’s right to abortion, for example there is a very real threat now, due to the harassment of women by anti-abortion group Abort67 outside Blackfriars Medical Clinic that local abortion services could be shut down.
• The 1967 Act can be improved to remove unnecessary delays and barriers for women needing to access abortion services.
This meeting resolves
• To affiliate to the Abortion Rights campaign/send a donation to Abortion Rights and send a copy of this motion to the campaign.
• To oppose any restrictions on access to abortion services.
• To call on and facilitate our members to lobby their MPs to support amendments improving access.
• To urge the NUS to circulate information and briefings from Abortion Rights to members.
• To support actions called by the Abortion Rights campaign.
• To invite a speaker from Abortion Rights to address the branch/ meeting student union.
Download as PDF here model motion