Abortion Rights Model Motion template
Model motion on abortion rights
This branch notes that:
- The rights of all women to access safe, free, legal and local abortion is an advance for women and is necessary to achieve a society that values the lives and rights of women.
- Before the 1967 Act legalised abortion thousands of women died or were seriously injured due to back street abortions.
- Northern Ireland still has no abortion coverage and many women have to travel to access abortion healthcare.
- The trade union movement has a proud record of defending a woman’s right to choose.
Also notes that:
- Anti-choice activists continue to gather outside clinics and organise politically to change the law.
- Access and legislation can be improved to remove unnecessary delays and barriers for women needing to access abortion services.
- Abortion Rights is the only national pro-choice membership campaign.
This meeting resolves:
- To affiliate to the Abortion Rights Campaign.
- To oppose any restrictions on access to abortion services.
- To support actions called by the Abortion Rights Campaign.
- To call on and facilitate our members to lobby their MPs to support amendments improving access.
Download PDF version here